An efficient, customisable solution
Over the last 30 years we have improved our direct drive motor concept and this continuous improvement has led to optimal use of material – promising high efficiency, low noise and sophisticated variable speed capability.
Using our proprietary tools, we can customise our direct drive motors to fit your specifications, requirements and needs, creating an optimal drive solution for you.
Direct drive motors can be used in a wide range of products including washing machines, fans and blowers, water pumps, hydraulic pumps, ceiling fans, and industrial mixers.
Fisher & Paykel Technologies partners with businesses who need customised smart drive systems. We help you design, build & manufacture solutions which can deliver value to your customers.
Why use a direct drive motor?
In a direct drive motor, the use of a transmission or gearbox is eliminated — meaning that the number of moving parts in the system is reduced tremendously. The result is a very efficient electric motor and a quiet, highly dynamic operation. Consequently, the direct drive mechanism gives a motor a very long lifetime.
Our Direct Drive motors provide:
- A cost-optimised solution, integrated and tailored to a specific application for best product performance.
- Increased efficiency: the power is not wasted in friction (from the belt, chain, or gearboxes, among other components).
- Reduced noise: being simpler, a direct-drive mechanism has fewer parts which could vibrate, and the overall noise emission is generally reduced.
- Longer lifetimes: fewer moving parts also means fewer parts prone to failure. Failures in other systems are usually caused by aging of the components (such as a stretched belt) or stress.
- Faster and precise positioning: Field-Oriented Control (also known as Vector Control) allows feedback for precise angular position sensing.
- Reduced drive stiffness: mechanical backlash, hysteresis, and elasticity are removed when gearbox or ball screw mechanisms are not present.
Fisher & Paykel Technologies partners with businesses who need customised smart drive systems. We help you design, build & manufacture solutions which delivers value to your customers.
Direct Drive Range
MAX TORQUE (NM)
MAX SPEED (RPM)
What is a permanent magnet synchronous motor?
The most powerful direct drive
Who are the players in the drive system/electric motor market?
What is the best type of washing machine?
© Fisher & Paykel Technologies (a division of Fisher & Paykel Appliances Ltd) 2022. All Rights Reserved.